Kaysville is a city in Davis County, Utah, United States. It is part of the Ogden–Clearfield, Utah Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 20,351 at the 2000 census, and 25,820 as of the 2008 estimates.
The Kaysville area was originally settled by Hector Haight shortly after Mormon pioneers arrived in 1847. He had been sent north to find feed for the stock and soon thereafter constructed a cabin and brought his family to settle the area. Farmington, Utah, also claims Hector Haight as its original settler. Two miles north of Haight’s original settlement, Samuel Holmes built a cabin in 1849 and was soon joined by other settlers from Salt Lake, namely Edward Phillips, John Green, and William Kay.
Although settlement began in the 1840s, the name of Kaysville connects with the fact that in 1851 William Kay was made the bishop in the vicinity by Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball.
After the move south in 1858 (see Utah War) there was an attempt to rename the community Freedom, but Brigham Young convinced the residents to retain the old name.
In 1868 Kaysville became the first city incorporated in Davis County.